When you’re preparing to do yoga, chances are you have your yoga mat and you’re wearing the best yoga clothes. But, don’t forget about your yoga wheel the next time you go to yoga class or practice yoga at home.
What’s a yoga wheel? A yoga wheel is a round, hollow yoga prop. You use it to improve your flexibility and stretches.
Here’s a rundown of the best yoga wheels on the market. We’ll check out their pros and cons so you can buy the best one to fit your lifestyle and requirements.
Best Yoga Wheel – Reviews & Buying guide for 2022
Best Overall: YOGA DESIGN LAB
This yoga wheel will help you to improve your balance while opening your back, chest, and shoulders, without putting too much stress on your body. You’ll be able to enhance your yoga poses by achieving looser muscles so you can stretch deeper.
This yoga wheel can tolerate up to 550 pounds, so it’s versatile. It’s ideal for beginner and advanced yogis alike. Since it’s made out of cork, this yoga wheel is strong and supportive. However, it’s not uncomfortable or too hard.
You’ll love how eye-catching this yoga wheel is, thanks to its mandala pattern. This will make you want to use it even more, plus it will look pretty when you store it away after yoga class.
You don’t have to be limited to using this wheel solely for yoga. It’s supportive enough to help ease back and neck pain, such as after a day of working in front of the computer.
- Material: Cork
- Size: 3.15 x 2.36 x 1.57 inches
- Color: Black, Black/Yellow
- This yoga wheel is earth-friendly. It’s made with recyclable materials.
- It’s made out of cork, which is strong and sustainable.
- It has a padded, non-slip feature so that you can extend yourself in poses without losing balance.
- Its pattern doesn’t get transferred to your yoga mat, so you can use this yoga wheel with confidence.
- This best cork yoga wheel’s adhesive and seam aren’t noticeable.
- Some people who have purchased this yoga wheel have said that they wish it had been a bit wider.
- Others have reported that they received yoga wheels with quality issues.
Runner Up: Acumobility Back Roller
Instead of having a smooth exterior, this Acumobility back roller has bumps on it. These provide more texture to enable you to stretch your back and release tension in your body.
This back roller is made out of ethylene vinyl acetate, which has more resilience than PVC and more flexibility than LDPE. It’s been designed by a chiropractor. It works well to treat your body from your neck all the way to your lower back.
Although it has a bumpy texture, it contains a gap in the center so that you don’t feel too much pressure on your spine. This ensures that using the back roller will be comfortable.
It’s ideal for use during yoga or when you want to work out knots in your muscles. You can use it on a variety of body parts, not just your back, such as your chest, thighs, and abs.
- Material: Ethylene vinyl acetate
- Size: 10.92 x 10.92 x 7.41 inches
- Color: Grey/Yellow
- This best yoga roller wheel has been made with non-toxic EVA foam.
- Since it’s wider than many other yoga wheels on the market, it won’t tip over.
- The bumps on this wheel are firm and won’t become soft over time.
- Since it’s large, being around 11 inches tall and seven inches wide, it will be able to accommodate up to 1,000 pounds.
- Its seven-inch width means it can fit perfectly between your shoulder blades.
- It might feel a bit too hard on your back the first few times you use it, so cover it with a towel to make it more comfortable.
- Since this yoga wheel is large, some people have said that it can be difficult to use if you’re a beginner.
Alternative: UpCircleSeven Yoga Wheel
This yoga wheel is made out of ABS, which is a thermoplastic polymer, so it’s strong and durable. It won’t flex like other yoga wheels on the market.
With an 8mm dense padding, this wheel isn’t just strong but also comfortable to use, so it’s the best yoga wheel for beginners. This yoga wheel conforms to your spine so that you can roll out the tension in your muscles without feeling more pain.
It has a medium firmness so that you won’t feel it’s too hard and uncomfortable, which makes it beginner-friendly and also the best yoga wheel for back pain.
Since it’s easy to use, it can help you achieve a variety of yoga poses while helping you gain greater stability.
- Material: ABS
- Size: 13.7 x 13.3 x 5.9 inches
- Color: Cork
- This yoga wheel can handle up to 550 pounds so it won’t bend under pressure.
- Its padding is thick so it feels comfortable and won’t hurt your spine.
- If you don’t want it in a cork color, you can purchase it in a variety of other colors, such as black, pink, or purple.
- You can use it in a variety of ways, such as in yoga class as well as when relieving backaches and to ensure good posture while at work.
- When using it during yoga, you don’t have to worry about slipping off. This yoga wheel has a textured exterior so that it’s grippy.
- It can feel hard if you’re using it for the first time.
- It falls short when it comes to its user guide.
- The cork layer is quite thin.
Alternative: Chirp Wheel Foam Roller
This yoga wheel will ensure you can better massage and relieve your lumbar and thoracic regions. Regular use of it will help to improve your flexibility, balance, and strength.
It also strengthens muscles around the spine. These correct the spine’s curvature so that you can enjoy a healthier posture and experience less muscular strain.
This foam roller wheel contains skid-resistant padding. This ensures that you’ll feel comfortable when using it while not slipping off it and hurting yourself. As a bonus, its padding is also eco-friendly.
It’s been designed with an injection-molded rigid core that can accommodate up to 500 pounds of weight. It won’t bend or crack under pressure.
- Material: Foam, Pine
- Size: 11.75 x 11.75 x 5.69 inches
- Color: Blue, Black
- The padding of this yoga wheel is sweat-resistant.
- It offers five inches of width for increased comfort during use.
- Its adhesives are free of unpleasant odors.
- It’s also free of PVC, so you won’t have to worry about your exposure to harmful additives.
- It’s strong enough to be used in a variety of ways, such as on the floor or against the wall.
- Some people who have purchased this best yoga wheel have said that it is painful to use at first.
- Since it’s smaller than some other yoga wheels on the market, it can feel more difficult to use and balance on.
Alternative: REEHUT Yoga Wheel
This yoga wheel comfortably fits the natural curve of your spine so that you can get a proper stretch when doing yoga wheel poses. It’s made with a hybrid, environmentally-friendly TPE foam that cushions your body and makes yoga more comfortable.
However, just because it’s padded, that doesn’t mean it isn’t strong. It contains a TPE plastic inner core that makes it more resistant to impact. This increases its durability and resists wear and tear.
This Reehut yoga wheel is resistant to slipping, thanks to how it has superior padding that prevents moisture from accumulating on its surface. It also has an imitation leaf-vein pattern that’s textured to further enhance its grip.
- Material: TPE Foam
- Size: 13.27 x 13.23 x 5.47 inches
- Color: Black, Blue
- This yoga wheel comes with an ebook guide included.
- It provides a good amount of resilience so that you can effectively stretch your body.
- It’s especially supportive for your chest, abdomen, spine, hips, and shoulders.
- Since it only weighs 2.86 pounds, it’s easy to carry to and from yoga class.
- This yoga wheel is waterproof so you don’t have to worry about sweat or moisture damaging it.
- It can tolerate up to 330 pounds, which is less than other yoga wheels on the market.
- Its plastic inner rim is a bit too rigid, which can make you feel uncomfortable when using it.
Yoga Wheel FAQ
Now that we’ve featured five of the best yoga wheels on the market, let’s explore some important information about these props.
What size yoga wheel is best?
While you can find yoga wheels of various sizes, the average size of a yoga wheel is five inches. This ensures that the yoga wheel will fit between your shoulder blades for a more comfortable fit.
However, the size that you should choose for your yoga wheel will depend on your requirements. If the yoga wheel is six inches or more, it will give you more stability.
You can find yoga wheels that are around 10 inches for increased balance, and these are especially beginner friendly.
Do yoga wheels really work?
Yoga wheels do help you when performing yoga. This is because they make some advanced yoga poses much easier to achieve. They’re therefore a useful yoga accessory that will help you extend yourself further without hurting yourself.
In this way, a yoga wheel is similar to yoga blocks as they give you the support you need. Another way in which yoga wheels work is by boosting your confidence.
By helping you to reach certain poses without the fear of hurting yourself or not being able to stretch far enough, a yoga wheel can put you in a confident frame of mind, which will ensure you can perform yoga better.
Does a yoga wheel crack your back?
If you love the satisfying cracking sounds your back makes when you stretch it, you can achieve this with a yoga wheel.
But, what does it mean to crack your back? Cracking your back is thought to stretch the soft capsules on the outside of your vertebra.
This allows the synovial fluid to circulate inside them so that pressure on your back joints and muscles is released effectively. Since a yoga wheel allows you to stretch and extend your muscles, it can be used to relieve tension in your back.
What are the benefits of a yoga wheel?
There are many benefits of using a yoga wheel the next time you sign up for a yoga class.
- Yoga wheels help you to do yoga poses safely. By using a yoga wheel, you can gently but effectively release your back muscles. This is great if you’re a beginner or you don’t feel comfortable extending yourself so much during poses.
- Yoga wheels prevent injury. If you’re not experienced with doing difficult yoga poses, a yoga wheel can help you to prevent injury. It supports your spine and muscles. It also keeps you upright, so it’s a useful prop that can come to your assistance when required.
- Yoga wheels boost your flexibility. A yoga wheel can help you to become more flexible because it helps you to stretch further and extend your muscles more than you’d be able to do so without it.
- Yoga wheels help you outside of yoga class. Many yoga wheels are versatile. You can use them in a variety of ways, such as to improve your posture and massage knots out of your neck or back. By doing this, you can keep your body flexible and pain-free, which will help you achieve more poses in yoga class.
If you want to improve your yoga performance, it’s a good idea to purchase a yoga wheel. This accessory will help you in various ways, such as by extending your poses so that you can enhance your flexibility and strength.
In this guide, we’ve featured five of the best yoga wheels for beginners and experienced yogis alike, featuring their pros and cons so you can choose the most effective one for your yoga needs.