When you get dressed for yoga, you probably ensure you have the right leggings or shorts, and a comfortable T-shirt or vest that won’t restrict your movements. But what about yoga socks instead of regular socks from your drawer?
Do you really need yoga socks? While you might think that they’re unnecessary to own, yoga socks have essential features you need to stay warm, wick away moisture, and ensure you can stretch without slipping.
With this in mind, let’s explore five of the best yoga socks for increased comfort. We’ll feature their pros and cons to help you purchase the yoga socks with the highest-quality features.
Best Yoga Socks – Reviews & Buying guide for 2022
Best Overall: Ozaiic Yoga Socks for Women
These best-selling yoga socks look stylish and help you stay balanced during advanced yoga poses without you having to worry about slipping or losing your balance.
They’re anti-skid and anti-slip socks that are ballet-inspired with their crossover straps. This gives you a good mix of stylishness and practicality.
Another example of the above is that these yoga socks have a cute design underneath them that’s not just attractive but also practical: it’s a grippy texture to keep you upright.
Since some regular socks you own can be slippery, you will want to replace them with these Ozaiic socks the next time you do yoga.
These socks are low-cut so they won’t get in the way of your movements and so you can also wear them under your shoes when you leave the yoga class, which will save you time when heading out the yoga room.
These yoga socks for women have cushioned soles that give you more support and comfort after long yoga classes. They also help to make the socks more durable while increasing their lifespan.
Since they’re made out of combed cotton, which is a softer version of cotton, these yoga socks will make you feel cozy and comfortable.
- Material: Combed Cotton, Silicone Gel Grips
- Size: One size fits all
- Color: Black/Grey, Black/Beige, Purple/Rose/Red, Brown/Green/Black/Grey
- These yoga socks have 100 percent silicone gel grips on the bottom to ensure you don’t slip.
- They can be washed in the washing machine, so they’re easy to maintain.
- They have elastic straps that feel comfortable and don’t dig into your skin.
- These best yoga socks let your feet breathe because they have cutouts on top of them.
- They’re made out of combed cotton that wicks away moisture and protects your skin against bacteria.
- Some people who have purchased these yoga socks have said they’re a bit thick.
- There are some sizing issues with these socks, as they seem to be better suited to people with small feet.
- Other people have noted that they’re quite thick, which can make them unsuitable for yoga during warm weather.
Runner Up: Unisex Non-Slip Grip Socks
These socks are textured underneath their soles so that they provide you with more grip when you need it, such as if you’re practicing yoga on a polished wooden floor.
A feature that sets these yoga socks apart from many others on the market is that they’re cushioned for increased comfort and foot support.
The socks are made out of premium cotton that’s both stretchy and breathable, preventing you from experiencing discomfort or unpleasant sweat odors. This also ensures that the yoga socks won’t restrict your foot movements.
These socks can be used in a variety of applications. You can wear them for physio, at the hospital, or around the home. They not only protect your feet but also your ankles, which makes them great for doing yoga and pilates.
These socks come in pairs of three. You can find some packs that contain more vibrant colors than others if you want to make a fashionable statement when wearing these comfortable yoga socks.
- Material: cotton, spandex, binding cloth
- Size: small-medium, large-xlarge
- Color: Black, Black/Light Grey, Black/Dark Grey, Black/Navy, and many more to choose from
- These yoga socks contain 100 percent silicone gel for the outsole particles that provide greater grip.
- You can wash them by hand or in the washing machine, which makes them convenient to own.
- They come with an included netted and zippered bag for increased ease of use when washing them.
- They have mesh ventilation in their design so that they increase breathability.
- The socks have elastic arch support for greater comfort and to ensure that the socks don’t roll down.
- These yoga socks aren’t as stretchable as you might expect.
- Some people who purchased these yoga socks reported sizing inconsistencies.
- Others have noted that the socks are a bit too snug around the ankle.
Alternative: Hicdaw 4-12 Pairs Yoga Socks
Since they’re made out of combed cotton, these yoga socks are breathable, anti-slip, and can absorb sweat, therefore reducing discomfort and unpleasant odors. These will ensure you can stay comfortable during yoga or when doing other activities.
These socks have a non-slip area on the bottom to keep you safe and prevent you from slipping. This is what makes them ideal for doing yoga, pilates, and a range of other activities.
You can also safely wear them around the house, as you won’t slip on your tiled or wooden floors.
They have straps across the top to make them easy to put on and remove after class. This makes them user-friendly. They have been well made, thanks to their fine sewing which increases their lifespan and durability.
They also have been designed with an enhanced cuff to hold your feet securely. It’s this attention to detail that makes these some of the best yoga socks on the market.
These yoga socks come in packs of four, which contain socks in stylish colors such as grey, black, and pink.
- Material: 90% Cotton
- Size: 5.5 to 7.5 (Women’s U.S. shoe size)
- Color: Multicolored
- These yoga socks are soft, so they’ll feel comfortable during yoga as well as other activities. They’re also great for lounging around the house.
- The gripper dots located underneath the socks are strong enough to grip the floor.
- These adult non-slip yoga socks have an open top and stylish strap that ensures a snug yet comfortable fit.
- The pairs of socks come individually wrapped, which makes them great as a gift for someone in your life who also loves yoga.
- You can wash these socks in the washing machine or by hand, which makes them convenient.
- Some people who have purchased these yoga socks have reported sizing issues.
- You can’t purchase them individually in the colors you want.
- Some people have said that these socks sometimes slide off during use.
Alternative: Muezna Non-Slip Yoga Socks
These yoga socks are stylish and come in designs that we haven’t featured in the other socks on our list. These include anti-skid friction on the bottom in fashionable colors and in-step designs.
They also come in a variety of bright and trendy colors, such as blue and pink.
Since they contain silica grips on the bottom, these yoga socks will prevent you from losing your balance when you’re trying to master advanced yoga poses.
This feature also makes them ideal for when you want to stay safe at home, such as if you’re pregnant, recovering from a sports injury, or recovering after a stay in the hospital, so they’re versatile.
These yoga socks are made out of moisture-wicking cotton that keeps your feet free of moisture, such as sweat during an intense workout so that you stay comfortable.
For increased convenience, these are not too thick to wear with shoes or trainers, so you don’t have to remove them before heading out of yoga class.
- Material: Cotton
- Size: 5 to 10 (U.S. shoe size)
- Color: grey, black/grey, black, mint/blush/arctic, black/navy/burgundy, and many more to choose from
- These women’s cotton yoga socks contain 100 percent silica grips that ensure better grip so you don’t slip on the floor during yoga.
- They come in medium thickness which is versatile for wear throughout the year.
- These yoga socks come in a pretty gift bag to keep them clean and safe during storage.
- Although they are snug fitting, they don’t leave indents on your ankles from being too tight.
- These yoga socks can conveniently be washed in the washing machine.
- The cotton of these socks is quite thin, so they’re not ideal for use during very cold weather.
- Some women have reported sizing issues with these yoga socks.
- Others have noted that they stretch quite a bit, so they can lack support for your feet.
Alternative: Gaiam Grippy Yoga Socks
These socks are a little different from the other socks we’ve featured in our reviews of the best yoga grip socks. Instead of looking like regular socks around the toes, these have full-toe traction for each individual toe.
This feature works effectively to give your entire foot much more traction, boosting your balance and stability during yoga.
They’re grippy so they protect your feet from injury. This is especially good for beginners who are battling with advanced yoga poses.
Instead of doing yoga barefoot, which is something you might not want to do in a public place, these yoga sports socks provide you with a healthier alternative.
They prevent moisture, such as in the form of sweat, from accumulating on your yoga mat and causing you problems such as increased slipperiness. They also ensure that you can keep your yoga mat hygienic, which in turn keeps your feet free of germs.
If you want to purchase yoga socks that cover your feet but leave your toes uncovered, these are also available – be sure to scroll through all the socks that are available on the Amazon product page before adding a pair to your cart.
- Material: Polyester, Spandex
- Size: U.S. women’s shoe size 5-10; men’s shoe size 4-9
- Color: Black/Grey, Blush, Frost, Grey, and more to choose from
- These yoga socks have a lot of texture at the bottom in the form of non-slip grips.
- Since they enable you to wiggle your toes, this makes the socks feel comfortable.
- They’re great for keeping your feet warm if you do yoga on a cold floor or during cold weather.
- These socks are designed to fit snugly around your ankle so they won’t roll down during yoga.
- They’re so grippy, that you don’t even have to use a textured yoga mat.
- The material of these yoga socks is quite thin. This can cause them to wear away quickly.
- These yoga socks have sizing issues, as some people have reported.
- The toes of these yoga socks can make your toes feel too tight during movements.
Yoga Socks FAQ
If you want to purchase new socks for yoga class, you might wonder if you need yoga socks specifically or you can get away with wearing regular socks. Before you go ahead and purchase them, here are some things you should know.
What are the benefits of yoga socks?
If you’ve ever tried to wear regular socks to yoga class, you might have experienced the frustration of your socks rolling down or not being breathable enough to keep you feeling comfortable.
Perhaps you even experienced slipping on hard floors during yoga because your regular socks didn’t provide you with enough grip. All of these issues can get in the way of your yoga performance and enjoyment.
Yoga socks are designed to have certain features to make you feel comfortable and supported, and this is why they’re much more suited to yoga than regular socks.
For example, they are designed to better absorb sweat so that you don’t slip or feel too hot during yoga. They also have anti-skid bottoms so that you don’t slip around when holding yoga poses, even if you’re doing yoga on a slippery floor.
You can also find yoga socks that are made with extra cushioning to offer greater comfort and support for your feet, which isn’t a feature that you’ll find in regular socks.
What do people wear on their feet for yoga?
Yoga was traditionally practiced barefoot and many yogis insist on doing poses without any socks or shoes even in our current day.
However, this is not necessarily something that will feel convenient or practical for you, especially if you’re doing yoga in a public place frequented by many people and you’re worried about germs.
Depending on your preference, yoga socks might be a better choice for you than remaining barefoot, especially since you can’t wear shoes to a yoga room. Your only choices are to be barefoot or wear socks, after all!
Wearing yoga socks is more hygienic than practicing yoga barefoot. If you don’t do yoga with socks on, your feet can become dirty and sweaty, which will make your yoga mat dirty too.
If you wear lotion on your feet, this can also transfer the oils from the lotion to your yoga mat, which can stain it, so you want to avoid that scenario.
While doing yoga barefoot can be a good idea because it allows you to stretch all the muscles in your feet, it’s not always comfortable.
It’s also not hygienic when doing yoga in public, as you can get bacteria on your skin, which is why you might want to invest in high-quality yoga socks.
If you’re not sure if you want to do yoga with socks on or barefoot, you could find a middle ground by choosing socks that leave your toes exposed, such as the Gaiam Grippy Yoga Socks for Women & Men that we featured in our reviews.
How do I choose yoga socks?
When shopping for yoga socks, it’s important to look for certain features that ensure greater comfort. Here are essential features to keep an eye out for:
- Choose closed-toe yoga sock designs if you practice yoga in public places. This will keep your feet hygienic and prevent you from getting bacteria or germs on your skin that you can transfer to your mat.
- Choose closed-toe yoga socks if you want more versatile socks. These enable you to practice yoga and also wear the socks to other occasions or activities. If you don’t do yoga regularly, they’re a great choice.
- Choose toeless yoga socks if you want to achieve a greater tactile feeling. If you need greater contact with the floor when doing yoga poses, or you want to strengthen the muscles in your feet, you should opt for toeless yoga socks.
- Look for breathable fabrics. Cotton is a breathable material that’s ideal for yoga socks, as it’s also stretchy and doesn’t absorb sweat. It will keep you comfortable during long yoga sessions.
- Make sure the socks have good grip. This is important as you want the bottom of your socks to have textured patterns that will stick to the yoga floor so that you don’t slip. As we’ve seen in our yoga sock reviews, many high-quality socks have silica grips that won’t fail you.
- Consider socks with elastic straps. If you feel you need more supportive socks, you should look for yoga socks that have comfortable elastic straps across them. They will prevent the issue of your socks rolling down your feet and becoming a nuisance during yoga class.
Do yoga socks work on the carpet?
If you want to wear yoga socks, you’ll know that they perform well on slippery hard floors. You can certainly wear yoga socks on carpets, too.
In fact, this is ideal because carpets might not be giving you enough of the grip that you need during yoga to enhance your balance and strength.
Having grippy yoga socks will help you to maintain your stability on carpets, as they will give you the grip you need, such as when trying to improve your balance during difficult yoga poses.
Just because carpets feel more textured than hard floors like tiles, this doesn’t necessarily mean that they will provide you with increased grippiness.
They will fare better than hard flooring, but some types of carpets can also be slippery, such as olefin and polyester.
Bear in mind that wearing yoga socks can be more hygienic than doing yoga barefoot on a carpet. This is because carpets can be dirty and contain dust, especially if they’re not vacuumed at least once a week.
By protecting your feet with yoga socks, you’ll be able to achieve greater peace of mind when practicing yoga on a carpet.
If you want to buy yoga socks, we’ve outlined some of the best brands to purchase so that they keep you comfortable and support your feet during those long yoga sessions.
Although you might think you can simply wear your regular socks to yoga, these are not the best choice. You need socks with good grip that are made with breathable materials to keep your feet free of sweat and moisture so you can better hold an advanced yoga pose.
The last thing you need is for your socks to bring you down and get in the way of your yoga progress!