While you might think you can wear regular shorts to your yoga class, this isn’t a good idea. The shorts you have at home don’t always ensure greater freedom of movement or comfort.
In addition, if your regular shorts are too short, this can make you feel uncomfortable when bending over and extending your body into a yoga pose.
How are yoga shorts different? Yoga shorts are designed with features that support your body, contour your shape, and make you feel more comfortable. They are usually breathable and high-waisted while being made of moisture-wicking fabrics.
What’s great about yoga shorts is that you can wear a quality pair of yoga shorts for a variety of activities, including your favorite yoga classes so you can perform better and feel more confident.
With this in mind, let’s explore the best yoga shorts for women that feel comfortable and give you the freedom you need to perform your yoga poses brilliantly.
Best Yoga Shorts For Women – Reviews & Buying guide for 2022
Best Overall: IUGA Workout Shorts
These best yoga shorts are designed to be comfortable and breathable. They have special features that give them an edge over other yoga shorts on the market, such as side pockets for your cell phone.
They also have a hidden waistband pocket where you can store other valuables without them getting in the way of your yoga poses.
These shorts are designed with a four-way stretch and gusset crotch to give you more breathability. They won’t become uncomfortable when worn during a long yoga session.
You also won’t have to worry about your yoga shorts being transparent, as they are completely opaque.
Since these yoga shorts are made out of polyester and spandex, they are comfortable to wear. The shorts compress and shape your body while keeping your muscles warm.
This helps you to perform more effectively when doing complicated yoga poses.
While you can wear these for yoga, they are versatile shorts that you can wear for a variety of other activities, such as aerobics, running, biking, and hiking.
They also come in a wide variety of beautiful colors, so you’re going to get a lot of wear out of them.
- Material: Spandex, Polyester
- Size: X-small to 3X-Large
- Color: Black, Dark Green, Grey, Dark Coffee, and many more to choose from
- These shorts feel soft and cool to the touch, providing more comfort on hot days.
- Since they are compression shorts, they provide chafe-free wear all day.
- These six-inch shorts are high-waisted so they won’t slip or ride up during intense activities.
- These yoga shorts with pockets give you tummy control so you can feel more confident.
- They are stretchy, which makes them durable and breathable. This also makes it easy to get them in a comfortable fit.
- Some people who purchased these yoga shorts have reported that the elastic strap in the waistline can be uncomfortable.
- Others have said that they run small, so bear that in mind before purchasing them.
Runner Up: THE GYM PEOPLE High Waist Shorts
These are another pair of yoga shorts that you’ll be able to use for more than your weekly yoga classes. They’re versatile and come in a range of beautiful colors.
They’re moisture-wicking, breathable, and quick-dry, so you’ll be able to wash and wear them with greater ease whenever you need them.
These are high-waisted shorts that have been designed with tummy control. Their wide waistband design ensures that your body can be shaped and streamlined, giving you a bit of compression and support without restricting your movements.
The above also helps you to feel more confident as you won’t have to worry about the shorts’ waistband feeling uncomfortable during a long day of wear.
If you’ve ever had your zen disrupted by an uncomfortable waistband digging into your skin, you’ll know how frustrating that can be!
Another great feature about these yoga shorts is that they have a gusseted crotch. This gives you greater freedom of movement so you don’t feel restricted.
- Material: Polyester, Spandex
- Size: X-small to XX-large
- Color: Black, White, Black Camo, Blue, and many more to choose from
- These shorts are not transparent so you won’t feel uncomfortable when working up a sweat.
- They have two deep pockets for valuables that are discreetly placed. These are large enough for you to store your cell phone.
- They are stretchy, which makes them comfortable. They are designed with four-way premium stretch.
- These best high-waisted yoga shorts don’t ride up during strenuous activity.
- The shorts’ waistband isn’t too tight, so it won’t cut into your skin or give you a dreaded muffin top.
- Some women who purchased these yoga shorts have reported that they can be a bit transparent when you bend over.
- Others have said that the yoga shorts sometimes produce a “camel toe” effect.
Alternative: Amazon Essentials Yoga Shorts
If you’re looking for yoga shorts that are patterned instead of in solid colors, you’ll love these Amazon Essentials yoga shorts. They come in a variety of fun patterns to make you stand out in your yoga class.
These athletic shorts don’t just look good, though – they’re also designed to be comfortable.
They’re made with quick-dry, sweat-wicking fabric. They’re also breathable so they further remove sweat from your skin. They achieve this as a result of how they ensure air can circulate through the material much easier.
This is an especially important feature to look for in yoga shorts because it prevents you from experiencing the discomfort of sweat pooling around your stomach. And, you won’t get too hot during a workout.
These yoga shorts are compression shorts that will contour and shape your body, making you feel confident when working out.
This is enhanced by how they have a high-waist design. Since they’re compressed, they keep your muscles warm so you can perform much more effectively. You’ll feel warmed up and ready to go as soon as your yoga class starts.
- Material: Polyester, Spandex
- Size: X-small to XX-large
- Color: Doughnut Pattern, White Leopard Print, Alligator Print, and many more to choose from
- These yoga shorts have a flat-edge design. This ensures that they don’t curl up during a workout.
- They have a four-way stretch design. This provides support while ensuring you can move around freely.
- They are non-transparent, so you don’t have to worry that people behind you in yoga class will see through them.
- Since they’re sculpting, these yoga shorts are flattering to all body types and sizes.
- They remain cool on the skin, which makes them comfortable to wear, especially when doing hot yoga.
- If you purchase a larger size of these yoga shorts, you might experience that they roll up a bit.
- Some people have reported that these shorts can have color or pattern discrepancies.
- They do run a bit small, so you might have to size up. This is good to bear in mind when ordering these best hot yoga shorts online.
Alternative: ALWAYS Women Workout Yoga Shorts
These Always yoga shorts come in bold, bright prints so you can make a fashion statement whenever you head to the gym, but they also come in solid colors if you’d prefer to wear something a bit more subtle.
What’s great about these yoga shorts is that they have a convenient pull-on closure for increased ease of use and comfort during long hours of wear.
They have a buttery texture that feels good against the skin to enhance your feeling of comfort. This also makes the shorts feel luxurious and pampering, while it gives them greater versatility regarding where you choose to wear them.
These quality yoga shorts have a four-way stretch design and are breathable. With their three-inch elastic waistband, they give you tummy control while also making you feel supported around your waist.
The waistband is sewn onto the shorts without casing, which smooths the waistline and prevents bulkiness.
Since these shorts are quite short, coming in at around three inches, this increases their comfort and versatility because you can wear them for a variety of activities and sports when you’re not heading to yoga class, such as volleyball and netball.
- Material: Polyester, Spandex
- Size: XX-small to 3X-large
- Color: Red, White, Black, Charcoal-White, and many more to choose from
- Since these yoga shorts are short, they can also be comfortably worn underneath skirts and dresses.
- They are durable as they’re made with polyester and spandex, but they’re also lightweight.
- They accommodate a variety of body types for increased comfort and comfort during wear.
- The shorts’ waistband doesn’t dig into your skin, so you won’t experience skin bulges or discomfort.
- These mini yoga shorts are not sheer, which makes them more versatile to wear.
- You can only hand-wash these shorts. They can’t be washed in the washing machine.
- Some of the light-colored shorts are not completely opaque.
- Some people who purchased these yoga shorts reported that they didn’t have high-quality stitching.
Alternative: BALEAF Women’s High Waist Shorts
These trendy yoga shorts are focused on comfort while being low-maintenance.
They have a comfortable elastic closure, and when you’ve worked up a sweat in them you can throw them into the washing machine to clean them on a cool wash cycle. Or, you can wash them by hand, so they’ll fit into your lifestyle without a hassle.
These yoga shorts are moisture-wicking, stretchy, and breathable. They give you full coverage as they’re high-rise.
With their wide waistband, they provide comfort without causing discomfort to your stomach, such as when you have to bend or stretch during a yoga class.
The yoga shorts come in different material blends. For example, the solid colors are made with spandex and polyester, while the charcoal shorts contain spandex, polyester, as well as cotton for increased comfort.
They come in different lengths, so be sure to check all the colors before purchasing them on Amazon as you’ll see the length inches are mentioned.
Note that if you’re looking for a slightly looser fit, the manufacturer recommends that you buy one size larger than what you usually purchase.
- Material: Polyester, Spandex
- Size: X-small to 3X-large
- Color: Black, Tie-Dye Black, Tie-Dye Blue, Tie-Dye Purple, and many more to choose from
- These yoga shorts have a longer inseam. It gives you enough coverage and prevents chafing.
- They’re designed with a gusseted crotch. This ensures that you have greater freedom of movement.
- The seams of the shorts are ergonomically designed for increased comfort when you move.
- These yoga shorts have two big side pockets. These can accommodate mobile phones that are between four and 5.5 inches in size.
- These yoga shorts are high-waisted and are fitted to feel snug but comfortable.
- Some people who have purchased these yoga shorts have reported that they’re thick and not as stretchy as others on the market.
- They are a bit transparent, so you might not always feel comfortable wearing them.
Yoga Shorts FAQ
If you’re still wondering if you need to purchase yoga shorts before your next yoga class, you should read this FAQ section.
We’ll explore why yoga shorts really are essential if you’re a yoga enthusiast and look at some other clothing options to consider, such as compression leggings and bike shorts. Are they worth it? Let’s find out!
Is it OK to wear shorts for yoga?
It’s common to see people practicing yoga while wearing yoga pants. But these are not essential to purchase as you can wear shorts instead.
When finding the best clothes to wear for yoga, the most important thing is to choose items of clothing that are comfortable and won’t restrict your movements.
Otherwise, they’ll just get in the way when you have to do complicated yoga moves or stretches.
If you want to wear shorts for yoga, you need to ensure that they are not too short. This will make it difficult for you to move freely and make you feel uncomfortable.
Similarly, you shouldn’t wear baggy shorts as these will get in your way, such as when you bend down or extend your legs during a difficult yoga pose.
Fitted yoga shorts that are designed to be breathable and moisture-wicking are the best to buy as they will offer the greatest amount of comfort.
You won’t have to worry about feeling hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable during a long yoga session, which will enable you to perform at your highest potential.
Are compression shorts good for yoga?
As we’ve seen in this buying guide of the best yoga shorts, many yoga shorts on the market are compression shorts.
These are ideal for yoga because they increase circulation and therefore prevent your muscles from getting sore. These shorts keep your muscles warm before a workout so that you can use them without straining them.
Compression shorts can also work effectively to reduce muscle soreness after an intense yoga session, meaning that you can recover faster and enjoy your yoga much more.
This is especially good for beginners who are just starting out with yoga and don’t want to experience a lot of muscle soreness.
It’s sometimes recommended that you wear compression shorts when doing squats or other poses that can strain your muscles as they will offer you some protection against injury and discomfort.
Since you will be engaging in difficult positions during yoga, compression shorts are ideal to keep in your gym bag!
However, when purchasing compression shorts, make sure they don’t feel too restrictive to wear. If they’re too tight, you will battle to gain the freedom of movement that you want to achieve during a powerful yoga session.
Can you wear bike shorts for yoga?
If you own bike shorts because you cycle regularly, you might wonder if you can wear these to your yoga classes. Bike shorts are useful because they are long so that they reduce chafing on your inner thighs.
Their length also helps you to remain covered up when yoga class becomes a bit more intense.
It’s also worth mentioning that bike shorts are designed to feel tight and snug, as they’re usually made out of compression fabric. This means that you’ll feel more comfortable when wearing them for yoga.
All of the above features of bike shorts mean that you can certainly wear your favorite pair of bike shorts to yoga.
You just need to make sure that your bike shorts don’t restrict your movements, are made of sweat-wicking and breathable fabrics, and that they are high-waisted.
While you might love your bike shorts, they might not be up to the challenge of yoga! Bike shorts are usually made of stretchy materials such as nylon and lycra blends, while yoga shorts are usually made out of spandex and polyester.
You might wonder which ones are the best. The good news is that all of these fabrics provide greater support, such as when it comes to helping you gain tummy control.
This will ease your movements as well as streamline your shape so you achieve more comfort during yoga class.
Is it OK to wear compression leggings all day?
Some people prefer to wear compression leggings instead of yoga shorts to yoga class or the gym. These leggings can be worn outside of yoga class, too.
While you might worry that wearing compression leggings will restrict you too much for long periods of time and therefore you should avoid wearing them all day, the truth is that you can wear them for as long as you like.
Some people even choose to sleep in compression leggings because they are so comfortable. The key is to ensure that the compression leggings you wear for several hours at a time are indeed comfortable and breathable.
In addition to the above, it’s important to check your health before making compression leggings your new wardrobe staple.
If you have certain health conditions, such as peripheral vascular disease, you should chat to your doctor before wearing compression socks or leggings for long periods of time as these can worsen your symptoms or health condition.
If you love yoga, you’ll want to ensure what you wear to yoga class doesn’t get in the way of a great workout session. That’s why you need to purchase high-quality yoga shorts, such as one (or two!) from our buying guide
With excellent features to keep you feeling happy and comfortable, while offering support where you need it, these shorts will ensure you can work up a sweat and make the most of your yoga class without any clothing-related disasters ruining your day.