If you’re battling to gain the correct alignment or enough balance to achieve yoga poses, that’s a good sign you need to purchase a yoga block or two.
These blocks are soft but strong to give you greater support and length so you can extend yourself enough to enter the yoga poses without feeling like you can’t do them.
What does a yoga block look like? A yoga block looks like a brick, which is why it’s sometimes referred to as a yoga brick. It can be made out of a variety of materials, such as cork, bamboo, or foam.
If you want to increase your flexibility and stability during a yoga session, here are five of the best yoga blocks to purchase. Read on for a rundown of their pros and cons so you can find your favorite one.
Best Yoga Blocks – Reviews & Buying guide for 2022
Best Overall: Manduka Yoga Block
If you’re interested in sustainability, you’ll love that this Manduka yoga block is made out of sustainable cork. It’s firm so that you will feel comfortable and supported while using it, with no green guilt!
Since you’ll be handling your yoga blocks regularly, you don’t want to be exposed to any harmful ingredients or chemicals. These yoga blocks are great for you and the environment.
They’re made with 50 percent recycled EVA foam and don’t contain any glue or fillers.
These best cork yoga blocks are designed with a textured surface that’s easy to grip and hold. This makes them ideal for beginner and advanced yoga enthusiasts alike.
They’re made with the additional feature of having a rounded edge so that they’re easy to carry and handle.
These Manduka yoga blocks come in a set of two. Although they’re firm, they are lightweight. This further makes them easy to carry around and take with you to yoga class!
These yoga blocks come in a range of colors to suit your personal style.
- Material: Sustainable cork
- Size: 8 x 12 x 18 inches
- Color: Cork, Midnight, Black, White
- These cork blocks ensure you can rely less on your arms for balance because they don’t move around during use.
- These cork blocks are more comfortable and supportive to use than foam blocks.
- Since they’re light, they’re easy to maneuver during a yoga class. This makes them convenient to take with you.
- While supportive, these blocks aren’t too hard that they hurt your body. This makes them beginner-friendly.
- These blocks don’t flex, which means that you can use them without losing your balance.
- Although environmentally conscious, these yoga blocks are made in China.
- They are a bit chunkier than other yoga blocks on the market.
- Since these yoga blocks are thicker, this can make them difficult to handle during certain poses.
Runner-Up: Gaiam Essentials Yoga Block
These yoga blocks give you all the balance and stability you need so that you can boost your strength and align yourself properly the next time you head to yoga class.
These quality yoga and pilates blocks are made of foam that’s both lightweight and supportive. These have a non-slip surface and beveled edges for increased grip.
They actually have 50 percent more grip than what you’ll experience with standard EVA blocks, so they’re essential to throw into your yoga backpack before your next yoga class.
These yoga blocks enable you to extend your deep stretches without losing balance. When placed underneath your hands, for example, these Gaiam Essentials yoga blocks will provide you with the support you need.
Although they’re strong and supportive, they’re very soft so they are comfortable to rest on during a restorative pose or when you want to meditate. You can sit on them without experiencing any pain or discomfort.
Since they’re made out of soft foam, these yoga blocks are ideal for beginners who have never used yoga blocks before.
- Material: Foam
- Size: 9 x 6 x 4 inches
- Color: Black, Purple, Grey, Blue
- These yoga blocks are easy to clean. Simply spot-clean them with mild detergent and then leave them to air dry.
- They come in a variety of colors to suit your style.
- The shape of these blocks ensures they can be used at different heights.
- These yoga blocks are lightweight so you can move them around easily when doing stretches and poses.
- They come in a pack of two, which comes in handy for a variety of yoga poses.
- The foam of these yoga blocks is a bit too soft for some people, so they might not be the best for poses requiring stability and balance.
- These foam blocks become easily scratched and scuffed, so you have to be careful with them.
- Some people have reported that these foam blocks have a strong chemical smell for a few days, so you’ll have to air them out before use.
Alternative: Trideer Yoga Blocks
These Trideer yoga blocks are ideal for beginners to purchase. They ensure that you can become more comfortable with achieving difficult yoga poses, helping you to improve your flexibility and balance.
What sets them apart from other popular yoga blocks on the market is that they come with a strap included. This strap can be used to help you support and extend your yoga poses.
Use it with your blocks so that you gain better balance and strength. This strap can also be used to help you relax and unwind after your yoga class, as you can relieve back and neck pain with it, so it’s a versatile yoga prop to own.
These yoga blocks are made out of high-density EVA foam. This is soft but very strong. They have enough flexibility so that you can use them for various yoga poses without becoming uncomfortable or straining your body.
What’s great about using an EVA foam yoga block is that it’s versatile enough for use in various types of yoga, including power yoga, yin yoga, restorative yoga, hatha yoga, and beginner yoga classes.
While these yoga blocks don’t come in a large variety of colors, they are bright and bold to suit your style and make you stand out in yoga class.
- Material: foam
- Size: 9 x 6 x 3 inches
- Color: Deep purple, Purple, Grey, Turquoise
- These blocks are comfortable enough for you to rest your head on them during a pose or meditation.
- They are made with edge-cutting technology at the corners that make them easy to grip.
- They don’t become squishy when you put your weight on them. They can accommodate up to 200 pounds.
- They’re versatile enough to be used for a variety of workouts.
- They’re also lightweight so you can move them around or carry them to the gym with ease.
- These yoga blocks are susceptible to getting scratched and scuffed.
- Some people who purchased these yoga blocks reported that they didn’t receive the strap.
- Others have reported the yoga blocks to have a strong chemical smell.
Alternative: Syntus Yoga Block and Yoga Strap
These yoga blocks come in a pack of two, and they have an eight-foot yoga strap included with their purchase. The blocks are made out of eco-friendly EVA foam that’s both strong and soft.
They’re also free of unpleasant odors so you won’t have to worry about inhaling noxious scents when using them. This is a big plus considering some yoga blocks on the market emit chemical smells.
These yoga blocks have beveled edges that have been made with 3D stereoscopic cutting technology. This ensures that they’re easy to grip and don’t have a slippery surface, which makes them supportive while giving you greater comfort.
Their edges also make them easy to move around during yoga class without you battling to grip them. The yoga strap that’s included is made out of poly-cotton material that’s durable and strong.
It’s 1.5 inches wide for increased comfort during use and has a D-ring metal buckle for increased durability and user-friendliness. Using the yoga strap and blocks simultaneously gives you many benefits.
The blocks bring the floor close to you during difficult poses, while the strap helps you extend your muscles so you can reach your feet in seated poses.
- Material: EVA Foam
- Size: 13.11 x 9.45 x 4.29 inches
- Color: Black, Blue, Blue/Teal, Purple
- These quality yoga blocks come with an instruction booklet included, which is great for beginners and advanced yoga enthusiasts.
- Since these blocks are made out of high-density EVA foam, they don’t become dented easily. This makes them durable.
- They’re easy to clean. You can spot clean them with a mild detergent and then leave them to air dry.
- They only weigh 150g each, so they’re easy to carry around with you to and from the yoga studio.
- These yoga blocks are textured so that you can hold them even when your hands are sweaty.
- The instruction manual that comes with these yoga blocks isn’t detailed, as some people have reported.
- The belt that comes with these yoga blocks is a bit too thin, as others have noted.
- Some people who purchased these yoga blocks reported that they are not firm enough. This is a matter of preference.
Alternative: Clever Yoga Blocks and Strap Set
These yoga blocks are versatile to use at yoga class or in the comfort of home. They are solid foam blocks that are rounded at the edges to give you support and this also makes them easy to hold.
For increased convenience, the blocks can be used on any side to give you the height you need when extending into a yoga pose.
These high-density EVA foam blocks are resistant to sweat as they have a closed-cell structure. This makes them practical to use and grip during a yoga session, and it also means that they won’t harbor unhealthy bacteria or unpleasant smells.
These yoga blocks come in a pack of two and they also come with an eight-foot yoga strap included. They’re ideal for use at any level, whether you’re a beginner or an advanced yoga enthusiast.
These yoga blocks are easy to clean because you just have to wipe them with a damp cloth and wash them with soapy water if they need a deeper clean. The strap that comes with the blocks can be washed in the washing machine.
Being low-maintenance and user-friendly, these yoga blocks and straps will bring you joy and easily fit into your yoga lifestyle.
- Material: EVA Foam
- Size: 14.17 x 8.5 x 6.1 inches
- Color: Black, Grey
- These yoga blocks can be used right out of the pack as they don’t have any strong or unpleasant smells.
- They’re light, as they only weigh seven ounces, so they’re highly portable and easy to use. They also won’t take a lot of space in your backpack.
- The strap that comes with these yoga blocks is made of 100 percent cotton and has two solid metal D-rings for increased durability.
- Although these yoga blocks feel soft, people who have purchased them have said that they are durable and supportive.
- The strap’s cotton material is comfortable to use and hold.
- Some people didn’t receive the yoga strap with their purchase.
- Other people have experienced negative customer service from the company.
- There are quality issues with the products some people received, such as scratches or scuffs on the yoga blocks.
Yoga Blocks FAQ
Now that you have a better idea of what yoga blocks are and what the best ones are to purchase, you might still have some questions. Let’s explore some of the most common ones so you get all the information you need.
What is the point of yoga blocks?
Yoga blocks are basically props that help you when practicing yoga. They give you greater support when you’re doing yoga poses.
This is useful for beginners who might struggle to extend their muscles and perform the poses, but it can also be useful for advanced yoga practitioners because it gives them an extra challenge so that they can develop their strength.
If you’re practicing yoga on your own instead of by attending classes at your local yoga studio, having yoga blocks can help you tremendously to align your body correctly during yoga poses.
They also give you more length, such as for your hands, so that you can follow the correct instructions for the poses to achieve them.
Yoga blocks are not just useful from a physical aspect, but also from a mental one. They can help to increase your confidence because you’ll feel that you have the support you need to reach the yoga pose without worrying that you’re going to get hurt.
Should I get foam or cork yoga block?
Foam and cork yoga blocks are both popular, and they both have their advantages. Here are some to consider.
Cork Yoga Blocks Pros and Cons
Cork yoga blocks are heavy and sturdy, which makes them stable. They are easy to stand on because they’re strong and are therefore great for achieving more resistance during your yoga practice.
This is a feature you’ll really value if you’re doing advanced poses that require exceptional balance.
If you sweat a lot during workouts, you should also invest in a cork yoga block. This is because cork absorbs sweat more effectively than foam, so you won’t have to worry about the yoga block becoming slippery.
You want to ensure you always have a good grip on your yoga block during yoga, after all.
However, cork yoga blocks can be heavier to carry around. They can also sometimes be a bit more difficult to clean than blocks made of foam.
Foam Yoga Blocks Pros and Cons
Foam yoga blocks are lightweight, even more so than cork blocks, and this makes them highly portable. So, they’re ideal for you to buy if you regularly travel to and from yoga class.
If you want to take part in restorative yoga, which requires you to support your head with a yoga block, then you should invest in a foam yoga block. This is because it’s softer than cork and therefore more comfortable.
Although foam yoga blocks are great for beginners, they are also suitable for advanced yoga enthusiasts and people who want extra support, as you can find foam yoga blocks that can accommodate a high amount of pressure.
However, foam blocks can sometimes feel flimsy when you use them for extra support in active yoga poses. This is why you might turn to cork yoga blocks instead.
Do I need 1 or 2 yoga blocks?
While you might think you only need one yoga block, as we’ve seen in our reviews many yoga blocks come in sets of two. There’s a good reason for this!
By having two yoga blocks, you can support both sides of your body. This is important when you practice yoga poses such as the Reclined Bound Angle. Two blocks also give you more support when you’re doing a restorative pose.
A pair of blocks is also handy if you consider that you can safely stack them. This is useful to do if you need to get the correct height, such as when sitting on them.
And, if you can’t reach the floor when doing a pose that requires you to bend forward, you can use two yoga blocks for greater stability. Over time, this will help you to gain extra flexibility and balance.
While you might only need one yoga block right now, having two blocks is a good idea because it covers any situation in which you’ll need them during yoga in the future.
Having two yoga blocks will ensure you always have the props you need for balancing and strengthening yoga poses.
Are yoga blocks good for beginners?
If you’re a beginner, you can definitely benefit from owning yoga blocks. Since you’ll be learning new yoga poses, using the support of a yoga block or two can help you to better achieve them. This is especially useful if you lack flexibility.
- If you’re trying yoga for the first time, you have physical limitations, or you lack confidence, yoga blocks can help you to achieve poses in a much more comfortable way. They can ensure you reach the poses and stretches you want, and perhaps these are poses that you never thought you’d be able to achieve!
- As mentioned earlier, yoga blocks help you to achieve better alignment during poses so you’ll be practicing them correctly. This is especially important if you’re practicing yoga on your own as you don’t want to get into bad habits that will derail your progress at a later stage.
- Yoga blocks help you to reach the floor, or as they say in yoga circles they bring the floor to you. This helps you to increase your stretch without hurting yourself.
If you’re battling to achieve certain advanced yoga poses, or you’re just starting out with yoga, you should purchase yoga blocks.
These have various benefits, such as helping you to extend your muscles, gain greater flexibility, and boost your stamina.
They’re also great for advanced yoga enthusiasts who want to shake up their routine with new challenges.
In this article, we’ve featured five of the best yoga blocks for greater stability and performance. Whether you purchase one or two yoga blocks, they’re bound to help you enhance your yoga practice.